Border Compliance Assistance Center
About WasteWatcher
WasteWatcher Tutorial
Ports of Entry
Entry Related Information
Federal Regulations
State Laws
Landfill Database
WasteWatcher News
Additional Resources
WasteWatcher Home

Truck Driver's Guidebook
Hazardous Materials

Federal Hazardous Materials Regulations
Parts 100-180
General Information

Table of Contents

This material is provided as a general reference. Michigan has adopted the Federal Hazardous Materials Regulations (FHMR) into state law. The FHMR should be reviewed prior to shipping or transporting hazardous materials. The FHMR is found in Title 49, Code of Federal Regulations, Parts 100-180. Complian ce is mandatory for intrastate and interstate transportation.

Hazardous Materials Security Plan

This subpart requires shippers and transporters of hazardous materials to develop and adhere to a security plan.


This subpart requires employers to train, test and certify all employees involved in the transportation of hazardous material. Training shall include:

  • General Awareness/familiarization training
  • Function-specific training
  • Safety training
  • Security awareness training

As of December 22, 2003, employers required to have a security plan must also provide employees with in-depth security training concerning the security plan and its implementation.

Shipping Papers

Shipping papers (sometimes called manifests or bills of lading) are required for almost all hazardous material shipments, even if it is for your own use. There is no required form (except for hazardous waste, see below), but there is a required format. Below is an example:










5 Gallons

Shipping papers must also contain the following:

  • Total Quantity (i.e., 1,000 lbs., 2,000 gallons, 10 cylinders, or 1 cargo tank)
  • Shipper Certification (that the load meets the FHMR)
  • Emergency Telephone Number (Must be someone familiar with the product carried and can provide response information; pagers, voice mailboxes, and callbacks are illegal)
  • Emergency Information (MAY be an MSDS
if it meets all of the requirements; some MSDS do not. Must be maintained in the same manner as the shipping papers. The U.S. DOT NA Emergency Response Guidebook is acceptable.)
  • Additional Requirements (Some products have additional descriptions that must be included; see Section 172.201, 172.202, and 172.203)
  • Uniform Hazardous Waste Manifest (A form required by the EPA, it may meet the shipping paper requirement if all of the required information is present.)

Materials of Trade

Certain hazardous materials transported in small quantities as part of a business are subject to less regulation because of their lesser hazards. Materials of Trade (MOTs) are hazardous materials that are carried on motor vehicles for at least one of the following purposes:

  • To protect the health and safety of the motor vehicle operator or passengers (examples include insect repellent, self-contained breathing apparatus and fire extinguishers)
  • To support the operation or maintenance of a motor vehicle or auxiliary equipment (examples include engine starting fluid, spare battery and gasoline) or
  • When carried by a private motor carrier to directly support a principal business that is not transportation (examples include lawn care, pest control, plumbing, welding, painting, door-to-door sales)

MOTs are limited to the hazardous materials in the following classes and divisions*:

  • Flammable or combustible liquids (Class 3), such as paint, paint thinner or gasoline
  • Corrosive materials (Class 8), such as muriatic acid, battery fluid or drain cleaner
  • Miscellaneous hazardous materials (Class 9), such as asbestos or self-inflating life boats
  • Flammable gases (Division 2.1), such as acetylene or propane
  • Nonflammable compressed gases (Division 2.2), such as oxygen or nitrogen
  • Flammable solids (Division 4.1), such as charcoal
  • Spontaneously combustible materials (Division 4.3), such as test kits
  • Oxidizers (Division 5.1), such as bleaching compounds
  • Organic peroxides (Division 5.2), such as benzoyl peroxide
  • Poisons (Division 6.1), such as certain pesticides or
  • Consumer commodities (ORM-D),such as hair spray or spray paint

*There are quantity limits for hazardous materials being transported as MOTs. Contact the Michigan State Police - or Motor Carrier Division Hazardous Material Unit or the Michigan Center for Truck Safety for more information.


  • For any placardable amount of hazardous materials, intrastate or interstate, the shipper or transporter must register with the U.S. DOT/RSPA. Registration information can be obtained by calling (202) 366-4109.
  • The transportation of hazardous waste in the State of Michigan requires a permit from the Department of Environmental Quality at(734) 432-1256. For environmental information, call (800) 662-9278.
  • The transportation of explosives and fireworks in the State of Michigan requires a permit from the MSP/Fire Marshal Division, (517) 322-1924.
  • The storage of regulated medical waste in the State of Michigan requires a permit from the Department of Environmental Quality, (517) 335-9053.

Railroad Crossings

Michigan law (Section 257.669) requires any vehicle that is marked OR placarded to stop prior to crossing a railroad grade. This includes farm vehicles, such as anhydrous ammonia tanks. Markings include identification numbers, shipping names, the "HOT" symbol, the "Marine Pollutant" symbol or any other U.S. DOT hazardous materials marking that is required to be on the outside of the vehicle. Placarding includes any U.S. DOT hazardous materials placard that is required to be on the outside of the vehicle.


The following state routes are prohibited to shipments of flammable liquids or explosive materials:

  • M-10 (Lodge Freeway), Detroit, from 8 Mile Road to Wyoming Road (approx. 4.5 miles) and from Howard Street to Woodward Avenue (under Cobo Hall, approx. 1 mile)
  • I-696, Detroit, from Telegraph Road east to I-75 (approx. 10 miles)
  • M-59, Detroit, 1.1 mile from the Mound Road exit in either direction

All of Michigan's major bridges and tunnels have prohibitions or restrictions on the shipment of hazardous materials. Contact the appropriate authority to obtain specific information.


Visit our other Border Center sites: U.S. Import/Export | Port Compliance | Mexican Border | China Exports